First we removed the 4m high hedge that was down in the back half of the fenceline (which revealed a much more broken fence that we realised... in fact the hedge was pretty much all that was holding the fence up).
Jason and his Dad then worked on removing all the other plants and very deeply embedded roots from the hedge. We don't have a very beginning before photo, but here we are halfway through the job!
Ethan showing the boys how its done!
After the plant removal the fence repair stalled for a few months as we submitted (and waited) for our insurance claim. Then we had to negotiate with the owner of the vacant block next door over the colour of the fence, the height of the fence and whether she would pay now or later (the law states that if there is a vacant lot next door they only need to pay for their share of the fence when they erect a substantial building on the site). Lucky for us she agreed to pay her half, and agreed to the full height fence along the whole fence line. We did need to negotiate on the colour, but all in all it wasn't too difficult to get a satisfactory outcome.
So we were onto phase two! The fencing contractors came in and demolished the old fence (and old garden bed). This was not without drama as they broke a sewerage pipe and cut our internet cable. The sewerage pipe was fixed that day but it took around 10 days to get internet back!.
Look at the big hole we have with the old fence and garden bed gone.
Here is the new fence from the outside.