Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Time is flying by....

Just 31 days till we fly out to Canada now. I am not sure where the time has gone. It all seems rather scary now. But the great thing is my training seems to be on track. I did a triathlon race simulation on Sunday (1000m swim/30km bike/8km run) and I was really pleased with the swim and run. However, I am not happy with where my cycling is at. But it really is a lot to ask really... to have all three disciplines going well at once isn't it. That is the juggling act of triathlon. We just hope and pray that all three come together on the day and that the myriad of other things that could go wrong don't.

Anyway, in 7 days time I also leave for rarotonga for a race. I was fortunate enough to be given a trip there from my boss at work that he won. Otherwise the trip would definitely not have been able to happen. As it is I am taking leave without pay from work which in itself puts a fair bit of pressure on the budget.

Training wise I have been doing lots of really specific bike intervals based on a power meter and certain wattages. This is all based round a 16km power test I regularly do on my bike. I am finding this training really valuable and hopefully it will pay off come June. I am not entirely convinced that my new bike setup is right. I have not been comfortable in the aero position recently and this concerns me slightly. I feel like I am experiencing a loss in power in that position. It leaves me in a tough place right now though... do I change it this close to Worlds??

Jason is still enjoying not training and has no real sports plans for the next wee while. I am sure after we get back from Canada it will be time for him to set some new goals. I must say it is a bit easier with just one of us training. That way it gives more time to keep the house ticking along... when we were both training we really struggled to keep up with cooking, cleaning and gardening...

Now that the trip seems to be just round the corner it is probably time to give you all an overview of what we are doing. We leave NZ on Friday 30 May, and fly direct to Vancouver from Auckland. Thank goodness for direct flights.

We are staying at the English Bay Hotel from 30 May to 9 June (my worlds race in on 7 June). This hotel is literally within 100m of my race start/finish line which is really cool. During the days before the race we will of course be training (and checking out the 137m swimming pool.... wow that's long!!!), checking out the race course, getting used to open water swimming again and recovering well. We will also have the pasta party, opening ceremony, registration, race expo, the Sprint Worlds, and the under 19 and 23 world champs races to attend/watch. We also want to do a bit of sightseeing around Vancouver during those days as well. The day after my race is the elite world champs and our prizegiving.

Monday 9th July Jason and I start our tour on the Rocky Mountaineer. We head from Vancouver on the Rocky Mountaineer train to Kamloops. Kamloops is in the heart of British Columbia’s interior. On this journey we will see dramatic changes in scenery, from the lush green fields of the Fraser River valley, through forests and winding river canyons surrounded by the peaks of the Coast and Cascade mountains, to the desert-like environment of the interior. Highlights include the rushing waters of Hell’s Gate in the Fraser Canyon and the steep slopes and rock sheds along the Thompson River. We stay overnight in Kamloops and go to the "Great Canadian Lumberjack Show"... Jason is really looking forward to this one :-)

The next day we head from Kamloops to Banff: Today’s highlights include Craigellachie, where the last spike of the Canadian Pacific Railway was driven, the climb over Rogers Pass, the Kicking Horse Canyon, the Spiral Tunnels and, of course, the glaciers and snow-capped peaks of the Canadian Rockies. Overnight in Banff.

Following that we ehad from Banff to Lake Louise: The highlight of this day is a 25-minute helicopter flight above the six glaciers of Mount Resolute, Mount Cline and the Whitegoat Peaks. We will also view a 270-metre (900-foot) waterfall, see some spectacular aqua-green high-alpine lakes and cross over a 2,700-metre (9,000-foot) mountain pass. A visit to a local ranch will provide ample time to discover the walking trails on-site and enjoy lunch . We overnight at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

We transfer from Lake Louise to Banff and join a morning sightseeing tour that shows the highlights of Banff. Visit the Banff Gondola, Bow Falls, Surprise Corner and the Hoodoos before an afternoon transfer to Calgary. Overnight in Calgary.

We get to explore Calgary for a day adn then fly back to vancouver.

Our last night in Vancouver includes tickets to the Cirque du Soliel and a stay ina real posh hotel :-)

We arrive back in New Zealand on Wednesday 18 June but don't go back to work until the following Monday.

No comments: